Weekly Current Affairs Updates 1st May to 7th May 2016 SBI PO & Clerk - 2016
1. PM has launched the country's 1st solar powered e-boats in which city?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the country's first solar powered e-boats at the Assi Ghat in the river Ganga, Varanasi. The initiative is aimed at reducing pollution and keeping the Ganga river clean. With the help of this e boats, the boatmen will be able to save rs. 500 a day without spending on diesel. On the occasion of the launching 11 solar powered e boats, PM stated that his government's focus on making long-term interventions to empower the poor in their fight against poverty and climb up the ladder.
2. ‘UJALA’ Scheme Launched by whom?
Ans: Piyush Goyal(Union Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal and Renewable Energy).
Full From of UJALA - Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All
3. For which service, India and New Zealand has signed an agreement recently?
Ans: bilateral air services
The deal was signed in the presence of the President Pranab Mukherjee, who was on a three-day state visit to New Zealand and the New Zealand Prime Minister John Key.
New Zealand Prime Minister - John Key.
New Zealand currency- New Zealand dollar.
4. Name the app which has been launched by Maharashtra Governor for tribal caste validity certificate?
Maharashtra Governor Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao.
The web-based application would help the government achieve the goal of inclusion as envisioned under the Digital India programme. Certificates will be bar coded with the unique identification number and authorities can directly verify the status of validity certificate using the unique barcode number.
5. The One Employee-One EPF Account drive has been launched by whom?
Ans: Bandaru Dattatreya
Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO)
6. India won how many medals in archery world cup?
Ans: one silver, two bronze
Indian women’s team has won the silver medal in the recurve team final of Archery World Cup held at the Yuanshen Stadium in Shanghai, China.Women’s team comprised of Deepika Kumari, Bombayla Devi Laishram and Laxmirani Majhi. In the final match they lost to Chinese Taipei team by 2-6 score.
7. Who has won the 2016 Russian Grand Prix?
Ans: Nico Rosberg
8. Indian boxer Vijender Singh recorded his 5th consecutive victory in Professional Boxing defeated by whom?
Ans: Matiouze Royer
Royer was Vijender's most experienced rival till date, with 44 bouts, including 14 wins, under his belt before the match. However, India's Olympics bronze medalist's power-packed punches went unchallenged and he brought Royer to his knees with an onslaught of body blows.
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched recently which Scheme?
Ans: Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana at Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana(PMUY) at Ballia in Uttar Pradesh. The scheme aims to provide LPG connections without security deposit to 5 crore women from below poverty line (BPL) households over the next 3 years.
10. Which state recently launched Chandranna Bima Yojana ?
Ans: Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh CM N Chandrababu Naidu
Andhra Pradesh CM N Chandrababu Naidu on 1 May 2016 launched Chandranna Bima Yojana in Vijayawada. The Yojna launched on the occasion of May Day is an insurance scheme for the working class people.
11. Who has won India’s first ever individual skeet medal at the 2016 ISSF World Cup?
Ans: Mairaj Ahmed Khan
Indian shooter Mairaj Ahmed Khan has won the silver medal inmen’s skeet event at the 2016 International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup (Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. With this win, he has won the India’s first ever skeet medal at the 2016 ISSF World Cup.
12. Which State has become the India’s first e-office electricity distribution company among all power utilities?
Ans: Andhra Pradesh Eastern Power
The Visakhapatnam-based Andhra Pradesh Eastern PowerDistribution Company Limited (APEPDCL) has become the India’s first e-office electricity distribution company among all power utilities.
13. Who is the new head of Information and Broadcasting Secretary?
Ans: Ajay Mittal
14. Japan announces $7 billion plan to develop which region?
Ans: Mekong region
15. In which city South India’s first underground metro service launched?
16. Who has agreed to become the 3rd goodwill ambassador for India at Rio Olympics?
Ans: Sachin Tendulkar
Salman Khan (1st) and Shooter Abhinav Bindra (2nd) at the Rio Olympics.
17. Who has been nominated for the Khel Ratna award by BCCI ?
Ans: Virat Kohli
Rahane has been nominated for the the Arjuna award
Virat Kohli will become the third cricketer after Sachin Tendulkar (1997-98) and MS Dhoni (2007-08) to be bestowed with the honour.
18. Name the Indian American Sikh woman who has been elected to an important position in the Republican party?
Ans: Harmeet kaur Dhillon
19. Who is appointed as Brand Ambassador of the world famous watch brand Hublot?
Ans: Rohit Sharma
Star Indian opener Rohit Sharma became the ‘Brand Ambassador’ of world famous watch brand Hublot becoming second renowned cricketer after former Australian captain Michael Clarke to be associated with the brand.
20. Name the startup company which has acquired by the Google recently?
Google has acquired a business technology start-up 'Synergyse' founded by an Indian-origin entrepreneur as part of its plans to scale training offerings for Google Apps to its customers and customers' users.
21. Who has received Edgar A.poe Award 2016?
Ans: Neela Benerjee
22. Who will head three-member panel to oversee the functions of the Medical Council of India?
Ans: RM Lodha
The Supreme Court of India (SC) has appointed a three-member panel headed by former Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha to oversee the functions of the Medical Council of India. The panel consists of former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai and Dr. SK Sareen.
23. First-ever World Humanitarian Summit will be held in ___?-
Around 80 countries may attend the first-ever World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul (Turkey)this month to re-think how to confront global crises created by the Syrian Civil War.
24. Mines and Minerals Amendment Bill, 2016 passed from?
Ans: Rajya Sabha
25. Name of the city who tops the chart of on line learning in India?
26. Who ink MoU with Haryana and Punjab to plant trees along side Railway Track?
Ans: Indian Railways
27. who has won the World Championship title of Snooker 2016 ?
Ans: Mark Selby (England)
28. At Which place India will organize a cultural festival to mark the 155th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore ?
29. Which country has topped in ICC T20I ranking ?
Ans: New Zealand
India is on 2nd place with 132 points.
30. The NSE is going to launch a new exchange platform for which segments?.
Ans: micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
The new exchange platform will be a joint venture of NSE and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) and could be the first specialized exchange for micro SMEs. The platform would be known as 'Trades Exchange' as it' will be based on the Trade Receivables Discounting System (TReDS). The new platform will be operational by the end of this year.
31. Name the app, launched by Railways Ministry for proper monitoring of projects ?
Ans: Project Management & Information System (PMIS).
32. who is going to launch a new portal for contract workers ?
Ans: Piyush Goyal
The Central Mine Planning and Development Institute (CMPDI), the consultancy arm of CIL, will maintain the portal. The system has also in-built mechanism to validate minimum wages paid, generate wage slips and employment cards, among others, for contract workers as required under the Act.
33. Who is selected as new UNFCCC Executive Secretary?
Ans: Patricia Espinosa
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has selected Mexican diplomat Patricia Espinosa as the executive secretary of the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change). She will replace Christiana Figueres.
34. Who is appointed as the Director of FTII?
Ans: Bhupendra Kainthola
35. Where was BHEL commissions 600 MW thermal power plant?
Ans: Madhya Pradesh
State-run Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) has commissioned 600 MW coal-based thermal power plant in Madhya Pradesh. The unit was commissioned at the 1×600 MW Jhabua Thermal Power Project (TPP) located in Seoni district in Madhya Pradesh. The project has been developed by Jhabua Power Ltd (JPL), a subsidiary of Avantha Power & Infrastructure Limited (APIL).
36. How much amount of PSBs is owned by the willful defaulters?
Ans: 66,190 crore
37. Which Bank has opened its IFSC banking unit at GIFT city?
Ans: Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd
GIFT City Means Gujarat International Finance Tech-City
38. How much Amount approved under Namami Gange to improve facilities of Ghats?
Ans: Rs. 2446 crore.
39. how many disticts Govt agreed to fund 132 incomplete irrigation projects?
Ans: 14 districts (Rs.7,188)
In a big relief to drought-hit Maharashtra, the Union ministry of water resources agreed to fund 132 incomplete irrigation projects worth Rs.7,188 crore in 14 districts.
Union water resources minister ----- Uma Bharti.
40. Which country Reliance power is all set to setup a power plant?
41. Name the Indian progeria campaigner who has passed away ?
Ans: Nihal Bitla
42. The 49th annual meeting of the ADB is being held at which place?
Ans: Frankfurt, Germany.
There, Finance Ministry will have a bilateral meeting with Hans-Joachim Fuchtel, Parliamentary State Secretary to German Federal Ministry for economic cooperation and development. He will discuss the economic assistance packages from India to Bhutan, progress of work of hydropower projects funded by India and the sub-regional cooperation in his meeting with Bhutanese finance minister Lyonpo Namgay Dorji.
43. Who has been nominated as president of the National Statistical Commission?
Ans: Radha Binod Berman
44. Which district of West Bengal will cast their votes for the first time?
Ans: Cooch Behar
45. Name of the world’s largest unmanned surface vessel?
Ans: Sea Hunter
46. Who is the incumbent Chief of the Naval Staff ?
Ans: R K Dhowan
47. ECB discontinues production issuance of 500 euro note in the which year?-
48. Who is appointed as MCC President?
Ans: Matthew Fleming
49. Who wins Ambassador of Conscience Award 2016?
Ans: Angelique Kidjo
50. Name of the agriculture project who has won WSIS 2016 prize?
The agriculture project Harita-Priya of Andhra Pradesh has won the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) 2016 prize in e-Agriculture category. The prize was announced in Geneva by International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Secretary-General Houlin Zhao. Harita-Priya stands for Harmonized Information of Agriculture, Revenue and Irrigation for a Transformation Agenda – Precision Technology for Agriculture.
51. Name of the country who will set to print its own version of the US dollar?
52. Name of the bank who launched a mobile-based payments solution “mVisa”?
Ans: State bank of India
53. Name the Indian author and professor who has won the commonwealth short story regional prize ?
Ans: Prashar Kulkarni
54. Name the country with which India has signed the agreement for Information communication
Ans: India and Qatar
55. Who is appointed as new Tihar Director-General ?
Ans: Sudhir Yadav
56. Which is the First Indian bank to tie up with New Development Bank?
Ans: ICICI Bank
The largest private sector bank of India, ICICI bank has become the first financial institution in the country to tie up with the New Development Bank to explore opportunities around bond issuance, co-financing, treasury management and human resources. The decision to consider each other as preferred partner to work in the aforementioned areas has been taken by the head of New Development Bank, Mr. K V Kamath.
57. Which bank has been awarded with “Excellence Award on Empowering MSMEs 2016”?
Ans: Corporation Bank
58. Who has been appointed as chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security?
Ans: Kumar Rajesh Chandra
Senior IPS officer (1985- batch) Kumar Rajesh Chandra has been appointed as chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS), the aviation security wing of the government. He is currently working as Additional Director General (Modernisation), Bihar Police.
59. India’s first sports expo inaugurated at which place?
60. Recently,Govt. has prematurely retired how many Group ‘A’ officers?
For the first time, 33 officers/officials of the Revenue Services, including seven Group ‘A’ officers, have been prematurely retired for non-performance under Rule 56(j) of CCS (Pension) Rules. There is a general perception that no action is taken against the defaulting tax officials for their non-performance as well as in case of harassing the tax assesses among others.
61. Army Exercise Chakravyuh-II is being held at which place?
62. Which country has signed MOU with india for cooperation in Sports?
63. Who is the Author of book titled ‘Shashi Kapoor – The Householder, the Star’?
Ans: Aseem Chhabra
Famous actor Shashi Kapoor’s autobiography titled ‘Shashi Kapoor – The Householder, the Star’ was released. The Star has been authored by film journalist Aseem Chhabra. The biography of this 78-year-old actor is an attempt to dwell into the inner depths of his life to reveal the nature and nurture of this veteran actor.
64. Who is re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland ?
Ans: Taoiseach Enda Kenny
Taoiseach Enda Kenny was re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland. Kenny, leader of Fine Gael party, was elected for the post 70 days after a general election which had produced no outright winner.
Ireland president - Michael D. Higgins
65. Which country has won the third edition of the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2016?
Some Other Important Updates Weekly 2nd May to 8th May 2016
Government Punjab has proposed to develop 200 smart villages during the current financial year 2016-17 which will be provided with ultra-modern facilities like 4G connectivity, solar street lights, sewa Kendra's, sewerage and drainage facilities, bank branch and model school.
Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act came into force on 1 May 2016. This much awaited and widely acclaimed Act sets up in motion the process of making necessary operational rules and creation of institutional infrastructure for protecting the interests of consumers.
Paytm, India's largest mobile payments has partnered with the Wipro ltd, a IT services major, to implement technology infrastructure for its upcoming Payment bank business. As per this deal, Wipro will provide the core banking solution like the anti-money laundering solution and regulatory reporting solution for Paytm.
Airtel, the enterprise arm of Bharti Airtel and networking player GBI has announced the partnership to increase its direct reach in West Asian countries. Currently, the Airtel Global network is spanning across 50 countries of 5 continents.
Leicester City have won the English Premier League title for the first time in the club's 132 year history after nearest challengers Tottenham Hotspur could only manage a 2-2 draw with Chelsea.
The Ministry of Railways and Forest Department of Haryana & Punjab have Signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for plantation of trees alongside Railway Track on Railway Land Boundary.
Wipro, India's third-largest IT services exporter, along with Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) and Princess Nourah University (PNU) has inaugurated Saudi Arabia's first all women business and technology park (WBP) at the Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University in Riyadh.
Australian entrepreneur Craig Wright has publicly identified himself as Bitcoin creator 'Satoshi Nakamoto'. He confirmed that he created digital payment system bitcoins and provided technical proof for his claims. Bitcoin is the 1st decentralized digital currency.
The world's smallest engine has been created at Cambridge University by UK based researchers. The engine is fueled by lasers and gold and a few billionths of a metre in size, which uses lights to power the engine.
Jaipur-based Girnar Software Pvt. Ltd, which owns and operates online portals CarDekho.com, Gaadi.com and Zigwheels.com, has acquired Volob Technologies, a virtual reality start-up, in an all-cash deal.
Three Indian Scientist have been elected as the as Fellows of The Royal Society, a premier scientific academy of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth. Their names had appeared on the list of 50 new fellows and 10 new Foreign Members announced by the Royal Society.
An international team of scientists have discovered a trio of Earth-like exoplanets using the TRAPPIST telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory.
Seven Indian Ace shuttlers have made the cut for the Rio Olympics, the list includes two female singles players in Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu, a male singles' player in Kidambi Srikanth, women's doubles pairing of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa while Manu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy make up the male doubles team. The only event where India won’t have an entry is in the mixed doubles.
Kotak Mahindra Bank has surpassed ICICI Bank to emerge as the third most valued lender in the country. The market capitalisation (m-cap) of the bank stood at rs. 1,29,963.14 crore as against ICICI Bank's m-cap of rs. 1,28,718.22 crore. This comes after ICICI reported its worst consolidated net profit in over a decade, as it plunged 87% in the quarter ended March.
The Union environment ministry has given its final clearance to only 17% of the 48 proposals it received for providing forest land for defence projects across India, starting January 2014. According to data from the environment ministry, the Centre received 48 proposals for defence projects from 1 January 2014 to 28 April 2016 from various states for forest clearance Of the 48 proposals, only eight (17%) got the final forest clearance, while 19 (around 40%) others received in-principle approval.
A Delhi based premier laboratory of DRDO, Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS) in collaboration with Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) organised a training program on Yoga for the Defence Wing Staff.
A bug over half a metre long discovered in southern China has been declared the world’s longest insect. A stick insect measuring 62.4 centimetres found two years ago in the southern province of Guangxi has broken the record for length amongst the world’s 807,625 known insects.
The e-commerce giant Flipkart has partnered with a Bangaluru based social technology company 'MapUnity' to launch its map services. The network will cover the 126 cities including those chosen in the 'Smart Cities' mission. The company service will help Flipkart in handling logistics, supply chain and promotes public engagement in solving the key problems of metropolitan areas.
Cricketer Rohit Sharma inaugurated the Pune International Sports Expo at the Agriculture College Ground. It is the first sports expo being held in the country organised by city-based Steps Sports Entertainment Private Limited.
The central banks of India and Iran have agreed to use European Banks to clear $6.4 billion oil payments to Tehran. Earlier, in 2011, buyers of Iranian oil were prevented from using global banking channels to clear their transactions after sanctions were imposed on Iran over its nuclear programme which ended in January.
Centre has released 9,367 crore to drought-hit States under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) in 2016-17, the Parliament was informed by the Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh
Facebook and the trade body of Indian IT firms 'National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM)' has signed an agreement to build a product design initiative to engage the country's young entrepreneurs into becoming problem solvers and solution builders.
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched the Google’s free Wi-Fi service facility through video conferencing from Rail Bhawan in New Delhi. Expanding the high speed Internet network facility, this Wi-Fi service at Vijayawada (in Andhra Pradesh), Kachiguda (in Hyderabad) and Raipur (in Chhattisgarh) stations.
Commerce Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has launched a web-based dashboard to provide an easy access to detailed trade data of the country. The dashboard will provide an accurate perspective to the general public on the facts around the trade performance in India.
Download Free PDF Weekly Current Affairs Updates
Download Free PDF Weekly Current Affairs Updates
Weekly Current Affairs Updates 1st May to 7th May 2016 SBI PO & Clerk - 2016 Reviewed by Mani Babu on 13:58:00 Rating: