English Vocabulary Words For SBI clerk-2016, SBI PO SSC CGL Exams
1. Stifle (verb) -To repress or discourage
E.g. Amy tried ineffectively to stifle her giggles after she read Susan's note in class.
Synonyms: suppress, check
2. Straddle (verb) -To favor opposing sides
E.g. Kia straddled the issue, not wanting to say whether James or Tara was right.
Synonyms: waffle, equivocate
3. Supple (adj) -Flexible
E.g. The supple leather coat draped like soft cloth around her shoulders.
Synonyms: pliant, elastic
4. Surplus (noun) -Excess
E.g. Trevor decided to freeze the surplus chili for next week's tailgate party.
Synonyms: surfeit, remainder
5. Trove (noun) -Valuable collection
E.g. Walter's trove of vintage baseball cards was worth thousands of dollars.
Synonyms: cache, treasure
6. Turmoil (noun) -Extreme confusion, agitation
E.g. The windstorm caused such turmoil in the lake that the sailboat capsized.
Synonyms: chaos, tumult
7. Turpitude (noun) -Essential baseness, depravity
E.g. The turpitude of the villain in the movie offended most audiences.
Synonyms: corruption, perversion
8. Unscrupulous (adj) -Lacking principles
E.g. The unscrupulous salesman was fired for lying to his customers.
Synonyms: corrupt, immoral
9. Untenable (adj) -Not able to be defended
E.g. Rashid made the untenable statement that George Washington was the second president of the United States.
Synonyms: baseless, implausible
10. Opportune (adj) -Suitable or convenient
E.g. Quan stepped onto the platform at the most opportune time, just as the train pulled in.
English Vocabulary Words For SBI clerk-2016, SBI PO SSC CGL Exams Reviewed by Mani Babu on 11:14:00 Rating: