English Vocabulary For SBI Clerk- 2016,SBI-PO,SSC CGL Exams
1. Retroactive (adj) -effective as of a prior time or condition
E.g.The retroactive law made even past infractions punishable.
2. Revive (verb) -To bring back to life
E.g. Hank tried to revive Clare's interest in the project, but her enthusiasm had expired.
Synonyms: reanimate, quicken
3. Revoke (verb) -To cancel by taking back
E.g. After Kal's father revoked his allowance, he had no money for the movies.
Synonyms: rescind, annul
4. Scamper (verb) -To run quickly
E.g. The frightened kitten scampered away from the butterfly.
Synonyms: dash, scurry
5. Scapegoat (noun) -Someone who bears the blame for others
E.g. Audrey used her innocent baby brother as a scapegoat for the missing cookies.
Synonyms: dupe, victim
6. Serenity (noun) -Calmness
E.g. The serenity of the glassy sea soothed the sailors after the big storm.
Synonyms: peace, tranquility
7. Servile (adj) -Fearfully submissive
E.g. Felicia's servile attitude annoyed her boss, who preferred an assistant with more backbone.
Synonyms: slavish, menial
8. Sociable (adj) -Inclined to seek companionship
E.g. The sociable Glenda was delighted to receive the party invitation.
Synonyms: genial, gregarious
9. Solace (noun) -Source of consolation
E.g. Parents' weekend was a solace to Marjorie, whose beloved daughter had left for college.
Synonyms: comfort, relief
10. Stealth (noun) -The act of moving secretly or unnoticed
E.g. The cat burglar took the ring by stealth, slipping it from the sleeping woman's finger.Synonyms: furtiveness, slyness
English Vocabulary For SBI Clerk- 2016,SBI-PO,SSC CGL Exams Reviewed by Mani Babu on 15:45:00 Rating: